Thursday, October 30, 2008

Amanaz - Africa : African Psych… did you know it existed?

Well, until I stumbled onto this LP, I would never have thought Africans could have set their minds onto this peculiar genre… No offense meant, but this has a very strange feel to it. Although dating from 1975, it has the hallmarks of period end-60's psych, full-on fuzz, droning songs, while maintaining a very "African" feel. This is not Afrofunk, it is a bunch of guys sitting under the baobab tree and who decide to make music after listening to way too many pirate radio stations. Obviously, the radio programs in Zambia were a few years behind the US and European trends. At the time when the mainland was getting into progressive music, these guys were making period 67-68 psych. I forgot to tell you they sound doped up most of the time… as in "too many spliffs, brother".
Apart for a couple of songs that could be passed over, this LP has a timeless quality and will insidiously creep on you.

Love it or hate it: here's african fuzz!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

this isn't insidiously creeping up on me...it's rocking my world...wow..

thank you...

ana...

Fantomas said...

You have many psychedelic bands in the african Portuguese colonies during the 60/74. Many of them very good. From Angola, OS ROCKS, HEAVY BAND, OS PSICODÉLICOS, ESCAPE LIVRE. And from Moçambique, OS INFLEXOS, AC 68, OS IMPACTO, among others...
Some of them released records.

FuzzyWasabi said...

Obrigado Fantomas,

I will try and check these bands out!

Fantomas said...

If you want, I send to you some songs! :)

FuzzyWasabi said...

Oi, I've just added your Reis do Yéyé blog on my blogroll to the right.

Yes, very interested in the songs, just drop me your email in a comment and we'll take it from here (I won't publish your email address)

Anonymous said...

Bonjour,
je suis nouveau ici j'aime vous lire ;)
je voulais vous remercier pour votre super site internet !
Bonne continuation
----
Nicolaseo, Rien de mieux que le referencement naturel.